- Q. - Which country is known as ‘Land of Thousand Lakes’
Description Of This Question
Drive through Finland in the summer and you’ll find two colours dominating the scenery: green and blue. The forested landscape is dotted with patches of water – or, in some areas, vice versa – so numerous they have earned Finland the nickname “the land of the thousand lakes”.
In fact, the moniker is an understatement, as there are a total of 188 000 lakes in Finland. From the metropolitan area around Helsinki all the way up to Inari in Lapland, Finland is filled with oases of the clean blue.
Finns feel certain closeness to the element of water, and it is a source of livelihood for many. Lakeland in Eastern Finland is where Saimaa, the country’s greatest lake, is situated. It is home to the Saimaa ringed seal, one of the most endangered species in the world, and nestles several cities on its shores.
Related Topics & Questions:
- Who is the newly elected President of the European Council (EC)?
- विश्व होम्योपैथी दिवस किस तारीख़ को मनाया जाता है?
- What is the India’s GDP growth forecast for FY 18, according to IMF’s latest report ‘Regional Economic Outlook (REO) for Asia and Pacific’?
- Which of the following airports became the world’s first airport to operate on solar power?
- What is the India’s GDP growth forecast for FY 18, as per World Bank (WB)’s latest report “India Development Report”