- Q. - Which Indian city has been declared as a World Heritage City (WHC) by UNESCO?
Description Of This Question
The Ahmedabad city has been declared as a World Heritage City (WHC) at the 41st session of UNESCO’s world heritage committee at Krakow in Poland. With this, the 606-year-old walled city of Ahmedabad, which was founded by Sultan Ahmed Shah, has become India’s first World Heritage City. The city was also the center for India’s non-violent freedom struggle led by Mahatma Gandhi. The walled city has 26 ASI-protected structures, hundreds of ‘pols’ that capture the essence of community living and numerous sites associated with Mahatma Gandhi who lived here from 1915 to 1930. The Ahmedabad city has also stood for unity with its elegant carvings in its Hindu and Jain temples as well as standing as one of the finest examples of Indo-Islamic architecture and Hindu Muslim art. Now, Ahmedabad will join the world heritage cities like Paris, Cairo and Edinburgh. Out of total 287 world heritage cities across the globe, there were only two cities in the Indian subcontinent- Bhaktpur in Nepal and Galle in Sri Lanka. The UNESCO tag will add immense value to Ahmedabad city which will also boost tourism.
Related Topics & Questions:
- Recently which famous Internet Company changed it’s logo ?
- In a Database Management System(DBMS), the content and the location of the data is defined by the ?
- Who is the author of the book “Numbers Do Lie: 61 Hidden Cricket Stories”?
- Which state government has launched a new awareness drive “Namami Gange Jagriti Yatra”?
- Which country organized Himalayan Air Festival for the purpose to develop the tourism ?