- Q. - Which Indian city has been declared as a World Heritage City (WHC) by UNESCO?
Description Of This Question
The Ahmedabad city has been declared as a World Heritage City (WHC) at the 41st session of UNESCO’s world heritage committee at Krakow in Poland. With this, the 606-year-old walled city of Ahmedabad, which was founded by Sultan Ahmed Shah, has become India’s first World Heritage City. The city was also the center for India’s non-violent freedom struggle led by Mahatma Gandhi. The walled city has 26 ASI-protected structures, hundreds of ‘pols’ that capture the essence of community living and numerous sites associated with Mahatma Gandhi who lived here from 1915 to 1930. The Ahmedabad city has also stood for unity with its elegant carvings in its Hindu and Jain temples as well as standing as one of the finest examples of Indo-Islamic architecture and Hindu Muslim art. Now, Ahmedabad will join the world heritage cities like Paris, Cairo and Edinburgh. Out of total 287 world heritage cities across the globe, there were only two cities in the Indian subcontinent- Bhaktpur in Nepal and Galle in Sri Lanka. The UNESCO tag will add immense value to Ahmedabad city which will also boost tourism.
Related Topics & Questions:
- Which private sector bank has made RTGS and NEFT online transactions free?
- According to the report of REF, In India How Many primary schools managed by only one teacher ?
- Which of the following Indian cities are in the 2017 Dell Global Women Entrepreneur Cities (WE Cities) Index?
- Which country is hosting the 2017 UNESCO/Guillermo Cano World Press Freedom Prize Ceremony?
- New Zealand captain Brendon McCullum has been awarded By ?