- Q. - Who will become the new chairperson of the National Commission for Minorities (NCM)?
Description Of This Question
Recently, the Union government has appointed 7 members in the minorities panel along with chairperson. Gayarul Hasan, a social activist from Uttar Pradesh, will become the new chairperson of the National Commission for Minorities (NCM). The other members are Activist and BJP leader from Kerala George Kurian, former Maharashtra minister Sulekha Kumbhare, Jain representative from Gujarat Sunil Singhi and Vada Dasturji Khurshed, chief priest of Udvada Athornan Anjuman, are the other members of the panel. This is for the first time that a Jain member will be part of the panel after the community was notified as ‘minority’ in January 2014. The tenure of the panel members is of three years (if not extended). The NCM was set up under the National Commission for Minorities Act, 1992 to look into complaints from members of five religious communities — Muslims, Christians, Sikhs, Buddhists and Zoroastrians (Parsis). The panel has seven members, including its chairperson and vice chairperson.
Related Topics & Questions:
- Which gas is responsible for depletion of ozone layer around earth which protect us from harmful ultra-violet rays?
- What are the Initiatives under Building India 2.0?
- Which of the following countries has lost to an Iranian team in the 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifiers?
- The 104th Indian Science Congress (ISC) has started in which state?
- Who will become the United Nations (UN)’s youngest-ever Messenger of Peace?