- Q. - Which committee has recently recommended several measures for de-siltation of River Ganga?
Description Of This Question
The Madhav Chitale committee on de-siltation of River Ganga has recommended a slew of measures which includes study to guide de-silting activities, sand registry for de-silting and a technical institute to conduct the sediment budget, flood routing studies and confirm the necessity of the de-silting of section of the river. The committee suggested good agricultural practices, river bank anti-erosion works and avoiding encroachment of flood plain and reclamation of adjoining lakes along the river. The committee also recommended de-silting of adjoining lakes to increase their storage capacities. The committee was constituted in July 2016 by the Ministry of Water Resources River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation to prepare guidelines for desiltation of river Ganga from Bhimgauda (Uttarakhand) to Farakka (West Bengal).
Related Topics & Questions:
- Which Indian diplomat has been appointed as the member of the United Nations (UN)’ Joint Inspection Unit (JIU)?
- Who Launched Nationwide model science labs programme ?
- Which public sector undertaking signed an MoU with ICFRE for Environmental related issues in improving the rehabilitation and reclamation of the mined out areas?
- When the Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana approved by Cabinet Committee ?
- Full form of MTCR ?