- Q. - Which country to host the 14th edition of United Nations International Day of Vesak – 2017?
Description Of This Question
The 14th edition of United Nations International Day of Vesak will be hosted by Srilanka from May 12-14, 2017 under the theme “Buddhist Teachings for Social Justice and Sustainable World Peace”. Narendra Modi, the Prime Minister of India, will be the chief guest for UN Vesak Day. The events include an International Buddhist Symposium the participation of over 400 delegates from 100 countries. Vesak is associated with three important locations of Buddhist history – Lumbini in Nepal, the birth place of Prince Siddharta, Bodh Gaya (Buddha Gaya) Bihar State in India where The Buddha attained the most exalted Enlightenment under a Bodhi Tree and Kushinagar (Kusinara) in Uttar Pradesh, India where The Buddha attained Mahaparinibbāna. The significance of Vesak lies with the Buddha’s teaching of cessation of suffering and universal peace to all humankind. It is a message to urge followers to do that which is good and to turn away from evil. It is a message of peace and perfect harmony between human beings and nature.
Related Topics & Questions:
- Which football tournament has been replaced with the Indian Super League (ISL) by the Asian Football Confederation (AFC)?
- India’s first NBA Basketball School has started in which city?
- An electronic path, that sends signals from one part of computer to another is?
- Which bank account for one-third of the total number of Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) accounts in the country?
- Which Indian personality has been conferred with the Order of Diplomatic Service Merit Sungnye Medal of the South Korea?