- Q. - Which country is set to become the new member of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO)?
Description Of This Question
Montenegro is set to become the 29th member of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) after US Senate ratify its entry into NATO. Though, ratification from Spain and the Netherlands is still pending ahead of a NATO summit in May 2017. The move was strongly opposed by Russia because it considers Montenegro and other western Balkan states part of its sphere of interest. Thus, Russia opposes the Western military alliance’s expansion in the Balkans. It must be noted that Montenegro was the former ally of Russia. Under NATO’s principle of collective defense, an attack against one ally is considered an attack against them all.
Related Topics & Questions:
- Muhammed Anas, who recently qualified for 2017 London World Athletics Championships, hails from which Indian state?
- What is the India’s GDP growth forecast for FY 18, according to the International Monetary Fund (IMF)’s latest report ‘World Economic Outlook (WEO)’?
- Which Indian cricket player has won the Sir Garfield Sober Trophy for 2016?
- Which country is the third largest exporter of beef in the world, according to OECD-FAO Agricultural Outlook 2017-26?
- Who has won a prestigious business award in the UK for his efforts to bring innovative IT solutions to Africa?