- Q. - Which country is set to become the new member of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO)?
Description Of This Question
Montenegro is set to become the 29th member of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) after US Senate ratify its entry into NATO. Though, ratification from Spain and the Netherlands is still pending ahead of a NATO summit in May 2017. The move was strongly opposed by Russia because it considers Montenegro and other western Balkan states part of its sphere of interest. Thus, Russia opposes the Western military alliance’s expansion in the Balkans. It must be noted that Montenegro was the former ally of Russia. Under NATO’s principle of collective defense, an attack against one ally is considered an attack against them all.
Related Topics & Questions:
- Who has been appointed the new Director General (DG) of Investigation in the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC)?
- What will be the inset letter in the new batch of Rs. 500 banknotes released recently by the RBI?
- India’s first solar-powered 1600 HP DEMU train has launched from which railway station?
- Who has won the 2017 Men’s Singles Miami Open Tennis Tournament?
- The Union government will launch “SAMPADA Scheme” for which sector?