- Q. - The 2017 International Shivratri Festival has started in which state?
Description Of This Question
The International Shivaratri festival has started in Mandi village, Himachal Pradesh from February 24, 2017. It is held as per Hindu calendar every year on the Krishna paksha 13th day/13th night (breaking fast/’vrata’ on 14th after sunrise) of the waning moon in the month of Phalguna that corresponds to February/March as per Gregorian calendar. The festival’s popularity is widespread and hence is known as an international festival. In view of the large number of gods and goddesses that are invited to the festival from its 81 temples, Mandi town has the title of ‘Varanasi of the Hills’. The celebration includes maintaining a “jaagaran”, an all-night vigil and prayers, because Shaiva Hindus mark this night as “overcoming darkness and ignorance” in one’s life and the world through Shiva.
Related Topics & Questions:
- The Manipur government has launched ‘DARPAN’ web portal to check corruption. What does “DARPAN” stands for?
- Which state government will launched anti-corruption induction training mandatory for government officials?
- Which state government has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Union government for the ‘Power for All’ scheme?
- What is the 2017 theme of International Day of UN Peacekeepers?
- The International Day of Human Space Flight is observed on which date?